Thursday 15 July 2010

The Philadelphia Parking Administration

We arrived at the PPA office on Filbert Street and were greeted by a security guard who checked our bags and took us through a security screen into a large room full of people sitting waiting.  I was directed to one of the windows at the other side of the room.  I explained how I had incurred my ticket and was asked if I wanted "a hearing" today.  I was then asked to take a seat amongst all the other "violators" waiting for a hearing.  After about an hour and fifteen minutes my name was called and I was ushered into a small office.  After being informed that our conversation would be recorded and swearing to tell the truth, I explained that I was an English visitor who was totally unfamiliar with fire hydrants and unaware that you should not park in front of them.  I was then told that I would be "extended courtesy" and that I should take more care in future and "enjoy the rest of your stay".  American justice triumphs!

1 comment:

Nigel English said...

Hope Sue had a good birthday despite the weather.
Nice to know Keith's legendary charm is paying its way with the American law enforcers.

Glad to hear all is going well and that you're inhabiting the American Dream!

Nigel attempted to post a comment last night but somehow received it himself as an e mail today-some things don't change!