Wednesday 4 August 2010

A Good Day ...... and Bad News

We went to the Arches National Park today.  Once again we were overawed by the eroded sandstone landscape: towers, arches, massive slabs of stone with fantastic shapes, they just kept coming!  Apparently there are more than 2000 stone arches in the park (hence the name) of which we saw only a tiny proportion that were accessible from the road.

When we got back to our hotel I checked my email and discovered one from 1800Hotels, the internet booking agency through which we had prepaid our 2 night reservation in Santa Monica : "Travelers who booked hotel rooms prior to July 14th should expect their reservation to be cancelled by one of our suppliers.  Please check with your hotel to confirm."  I checked and confirmed that it had been cancelled.  What pissed me off most was the bit below:  "Earlier this month 1800Hotels filed for bankruptcy protection to restructure its debt.  The company is now able to resume customer service"  In other words, they have effectively stolen our money and that of thousands like us and are still in business!

It seems appropriate that the area we're currently visiting - the Canyonlands and the Arches - were the refuge of Butch Cassidy and the Wild Bunch to which they retreated after robbing banks!

Anyway I managed to find another hotel in Santa Monica and felt much better after some blackened tilapia and a couple of pints of Dead Horse Ale at the Moab Brewery ("Hand Crafted Ales and Great Food").

Tomorrow we drive to Panguich for a couple of nights.  We'll be visiting Bryce Canyon.

1 comment:

Chris Hunter said...

I've been reading some of your older posts. You'd better not tell me anything about the new series of Mad Men! It usually starts with "it won't spoil it for you if I tell you this". Then when I'm when I'm watching it I spend the whole time thinking "I wonder when that bit that my dad told me about is going to come up"!

Thomas accidently smeared toothpaste in Carol's hair last night, then he pointed at her and said "mummy go and wash your hair with hot water"!